Wednesday, September 7, 2011

September 11, 2001

This coming Sunday will be the 10 year anniversary of the tragic terrorist attacks that happened on September 11, 2001; the bombing of the World Trade Center's Twin Towers in New York City and the Pentagon in Washington DC. Although I was very young when the attack happened, it seems like yesterday that the world was caught in havoc and utter shock. On the morning of September 11th, 19 al-Quaeda terrorists hijacked four passenger jets. The hijackers crashed into both towers of the World Trade Center just minutes apart, and they both burned to the ground within two hours. Soon after the towers were hit, five hijackers crashed into the Pentagon at 9:37 am. The total number of deaths due to these terrorist attacks was 2,977. I couldn't even imagine the sadness and devastation the families of the victims have endured. I was in the fourth grade on this day ten years ago, and my school had our parents pick us up early. I remember watching the news with my parents that day and seeing those huge towers burn to the ground. Many people i knew lost at least one person who was in those towers. My dad lost a good friend and co-worker who had a wife and four young children. Although ten years has passed, Sunday is going to be a very sad day for New York.  

No comments:

Post a Comment